Sunday, April 12, 2009

Nothing says spring like gays with flags.

I don’t care what the calendar says, you know spring is really here when the gays return to Liberty Park resplendent with flags. So you can imagine my delight when I rounded the corner while walking the dog recently and witnessed the return of flag-waving gays. (There are a few riflemen and baton twirlers thrown in for good measure.)

I call this group the Gay Flag Brigade, and along with the Mountain Bike Polo Players and the Medieval Reenactment Crew, they are one of the reasons I love Liberty Park. Now I don’t know for sure that they’re gay—oh alright they’re obviously gay. But I’m intimidated by the Gay Flag Brigade and I’ve never talked to them to confirm their sexuality. So I feel a little like I’m just furthering stereotypes and clichés.

This photograph does not do the Gay Flag Brigade justice. But I didn’t want to get too close to take a picture for fear the Brigade would attack, firing on me with fake rifles and beating me with rainbow-colored flags.


My goal this summer is to muster the courage to confront the Brigade and interview them. Wish me luck.

1 comment: