Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Let's just all take our shirts off and dance.

I'm a notorious Euro-pop fan.  I like the fat, orchestral-y arrangements.  I like the endlessly-danceable, disco driven beats.  And I love the friendly, hooky vocals.  Then again, I'm a guy who regularly makes the critical case for Aqua.  (Yes, that Aqua.)

So it should come as no surprise that I'm in love with Kylie Minogue's* latest single, All the Lovers.  This lush, summer-love delight is classic Kylie.  And although it's about love in the present, you just can't help but think about "all the lovers that have gone before;" you know, those past summer nights when it seemed impossible not to fall for that certain someone.  Those are some fun memories.

While the song is good, the music video is even better. Kylie set the bar for steamy, sexy sensual videos a while back with Slow.  But All the Lovers just upped the ante.  It's been a while since I've really wanted to surround myself with a bunch of hot, sweaty bodies and dance all night long.  But this video makes me want to return to long summer nights out at the clubs. 

You can watch the video here.


You may say this a cheap song that works only on a pointless pop level.  So just for fun (and to demonstrate my belief that a good song is surprisingly versatile), I'm including a bonus video of the Scissor Sisters performing Kylie's latest single as an angst-filled country song.  That's right, I just said Kylie, Scissor Sisters, and country song in the same sentence.  Enjoy. (Embedding videos in my blog has proven problematic so if it isn't working try viewing the video here.)



*I realize that Kylie is technically from Australia. But clearly her music fits squarely in the Euro-Pop category.  And calling it Aussie-Pop would just be silly.

1 comment:

  1. Mary (Shambaugh) RauchfussJuly 1, 2010 at 4:02 PM

    Wow! I can't believe it translates to country :) I think I'm a closet Euro-Pop fan; I enjoy the theme to "NCIS" way too much!

    ReplyDelete