Sunday, December 12, 2010

The art of the Christmas stocking.

Some 30-plus years ago I saw the original Stars Wars and was transfixed.  That year for Christmas, I created an original stocking that featured a brilliant felt version of R2D2.  The R2D2 stocking has long since been lost.  But I tell this story in hopes that it somehow explains a bizarre habit I've developed.

For more than a decade, I've made a unique stocking each and every holiday season.  Most of the stockings have been given to my good friend Felix.  But in more recent years, I've taken to making multiples so that even more people can roll their eyes at my strange holiday tradition.  The most recent stockings have been inspired by pop culture icons or the fine-art world. And I have to say, there's something strangely rewarding about translating the art world into the classic trappings of Christmas stockings, namely felt, glitter, beads, and crystals.

So, as a special holiday post, I give you my most recent, favorite Christmas stockings:

In 2007,  I created For the Love of Christmas.  Yes, for you art lovers that's a reference to Damien Hirst's diamond encrusted, platinum skull created the same year titled For the Love of God.  Let's face it, a black/gray stocking with a glitter skull says something about the whole Christmas story.  Or maybe not.


©Christmas was the stocking for 2008.  I've got an extra version of this stocking for the first person who can name the artist I'm referencing and why I titled it the way I did.  I'm pretty sure there's a copyright infringement associated with this stocking.


Last year's stocking strayed into the world of pop movie icons.  I call this The Rocky Horror Christmas Show. 


Get a load of the hand-beaded detail on the lip logo.


This year's Christmas stocking is currently in production. But it won't be revealed until Christmas eve.  A hint: I've returned to plagiarizing the stars of the fine art world.

7 comments:

  1. I guessed it 1st, but Jeff refused to give me a second one. LAME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. most importantly. I want to see the original R2D2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the stocking inspired by Romero Britto? We stop by his gallery every time we go to South Beach. As for the name, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takashi Murakami. Please deliver the stocking to my cubicle before I leave for break on the 21st. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I forgot to post why. Well, I'm not sure but I'd have to guess it's some ironic title/social commentary. Like you're ripping off an artist but copyrighting it under your name and that Christmas has become so commercial, it's potentially "copyrightable" by someone in the business world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the mad scientist of stockings. I am in awe. Cannot wait to see the latest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary (Shambaugh) RauchfussDecember 22, 2010 at 6:42 AM

    Love the stockings Jeff!

    ReplyDelete