Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book four: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

With the popular HBO series, it seems impossible to avoid the buzz about A Game of Thrones. My book club decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  That's why we chose to read George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire.  Big fantasy novels aren't my thing.  So I was hesitant to read this book.  Turns out, there is plenty to like.  The characters (and there are a lot of them) are complex, interesting, and surprising.  The story lines keep the long book from getting too boring. Martin uses a very helpful device to help readers keep the intricate plot lines straight; he titles each chapter with the name of the character that is prominently featured in the chapter.  I don't think I would have made it through the book without that bit of insight.

This book also feels relevant to issues facing the world today, from brutal regimes to political stalemates.  Additionally, I couldn't decide if this is a brilliant work of feminism with some strikingly strong female characters.  Or if it is a misogynistic orgy complete with some of the most graphic sex and rape scenes featuring violence against women that I've ever read.  Either way, the misogyny left a bad taste in my mouth.

In the end, this book annoyed me.  Like most serial fantasy novels, it was little more than a 1,000 page introduction to book two.  Nothing about the story felt like it came to an end, which doesn't make for a rewarding read.  I won't be reading book two.


No comments:

Post a Comment