Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Zen and the art of . . . well, zen.

We visited a lot of shrines/temples while we were in Kyoto. But without question my favorite was the zen Buddhist beauty that is Daitoku-Ji.  This grouping of gardens and temples was so peaceful, so beautiful that it was impossible not to feel more loved, more connected to the rest of the world, even more charitable.  From the dry gardens with their stories of the circle of life, to the lush green gardens with their calming beauty, I loved this place.  There are few places in my life that have asked me to be a better person.  But after visiting Daitoku-Ji, I want to be a better person.  Here are a few photos that can't begin to express the beauty of Daitoku-Ji.











I seldom felt like a giant Caucasian man in Japan, but this picture makes me feel huge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment