Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Triple threat TV.

There’s some awfully good Broadway-inspired TV these days. Here’re are a few shows of note:

If you missed the pilot of Glee then you missed a brilliant, subversive performance of Amy Winehouse’s Rehab cast as a show tune spectacular. Seriously, this is High School Musical but without the saccharine.

I was ready to give up on So You Think You Can Dance until I saw the Broadway Brothers. I can’t remember their names but I’ll be a season-long fan as long as these two stay in the competition with their nifty Broadway routines.

There’s also Any Dream Will Do, BBC America’s reality show that pick’s the lead for the new West End production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. (And after that, BBC America airs How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria, another reality show that will choose the lead for the new West End production of Sound of Music—I can hardly wait.)

But possibly the most interesting of the triple-threat TV is from Beautiful People, a British import now showing on Logo. The episode entitled How I Got My Nose is a strange mash-up of show tunes and Carrie with a Broadway medley performed by school musical wannabes that is just plain brilliant. (By the way, I know he's not the lead but the walk-away-with-the-show, steal-the-spotlight performance is given by Layton Williams [Kylie]. I don't where they found that kid but he's spectacular.)

Now that’s entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me want to sing "On my Own" from Les Mis.

    ReplyDelete