Sunday, July 25, 2010

The nation's gardens.

If there was a cultural theme to my recent visit to our nation's capitol, it might be gardens.  First there was my visit to Hillwood.  Then there was my visit to the White House where I saw the first lady's new kitchen garden. 

And finally, I paid a visit to the United States Botanical Garden, the highlight of which is the conservatory. I've been to better conservatories, but this was still fun.  The building was recently remodeled, resulting in a beautiful facility that explores plants from around the world.

Outside the conservatory, the botanical gardens offered delightful, edible garden ideas including these entry arches that demonstrated how you can garden up instead of gardening out.

Inside, visitors are greeted by delightful topiary bears holding flowering treasures.

The main hall of the conservatory is dedicated to the jungle.  And it's hot, steamy environment with its sky-high walkways makes you want to visit the tropics.

And while Hillwood boasted about its dedication to orchids, their greenhouse couldn't compare to the stunning orchids in this conservatory.

I end with a self portrait from the nation's botanical gardens.

1 comment:

  1. Mary (Shambaugh) RauchfussJuly 26, 2010 at 7:06 AM

    We love going to the Botanical Gardens when we are in DC!

    ReplyDelete