Thursday, September 15, 2011

The magic of the endlessly expanding, Japanese coinage.

OK, what's with the Japanese coins?  Once they start collecting in your pockets they refuse to stop.  In fact, they multiply at an alarming rate.  And believe me, I'm trying to get rid of them.  Just moments ago at the Family Mart I was so proud to use four coins to pay for my purchase.  And then, in return, I received seven coins.

Yesterday, I used what I thought was exact change for a subway ticket and received a handful of coins in return.  I have my suspicions.  I think the Japanese are playing a joke on us gaijin, secretly laughing at us as they load our pockets with massive amounts of coins, many of which are largely worthless; watching us trudge with evermore difficulty through the heat and humidity, burdened by our coinage; wondering when we'll figure out the mathematics of Japanese change; hoping that we won't catch on too soon.

Well I'm not giving up.  I'll still keep paying with coins.  Sooner or later, I intend to solve the mystery of the coin-purse bulge.

No comments:

Post a Comment