Thursday, September 15, 2011

Yes Virginia, there really is an international museum of manga.

So I'm reading up on Kyoto and come across a listing for the Kyoto International Manga Museum.  Exactly! How can you not pay a visit to anything named the Kyoto International Manga Museum?  So we climbed on our bikes (more on that later), and peddaled our way to the museum.

I'll admit it, I'm not a big manga aficionado.  And I didn't really know what to expect at this museum.  It was different than I could have ever imagined. It's basically a repository for every Japanese manga book ever created since about 1940.  There are stacks and stacks of manga books and you can browse to your heart's content.  One floor features manga for young children.  Another features manga for girls.  And still another features manga for boys.









Of course, if you have trouble finding exactly what you're looking for, the museum staff is happy to help.  One of the best museum cards I've ever seen is this:




Every where you went there were people pulling favorite manga books from the shelves and reading.

There were also exhibits that discussed the history of manga or even how it was made.

One of the funniest things about the museum is that is was crawling with television reporters.  I've been watching crazy Japanese television since I arrived in the country.  And for the first time, I got to see crazy Japanese television made.  Here's a video:

I absolutely fell in love with the massive bank of manga vending machines.

I bought a few things from the vending machines.  And a few things from the gift shop.  Most of which may be headed for my favorite manga fans, my nieces. 

I loved the Kyoto International Manga Museum and if I'm ever in the area again, I'll be sure to retun.

1 comment: